Who doesn't love to be spoilt rotten for next to nothing? For around $1.00 each, you can make bath bombs (the balls you drop into the bath, which fizz away releasing gorgeous scents and oils). There's no cooking involved, (great news for kitchen klutzes) and instant gratification is assured after 8 easy steps:
Ingredients from supermarket baking aisle
Ingredients from health food shop or chemist
Sweet almond oil
Essential oils (lime, orange or lemon are best)
Mixing bowls: small, medium and large
Mould (aluminium muffin or jelly moulds are good)
1. It's important to ensure all equipment is dry before starting because any drop of moisture will start the mixture fizzing.
2. Base Mixture: Sieve together 1 1/2 cups of bicarb soda and 1/2 cup of citric acid into the large mixing bowl. Stir well with a spoon until thoroughly mixed. This mixture will make 4 bath bombs, however if any mixture is left over you can be store it in an air tight container for later use.
3. Transfer 1/2 cup of base mixture into the medium size bowl and set aside.
4. Using the small bowl:
Decide which scent you wish to make - lemon, lime, or orange. Mix together 6 drops of essential oil, 1/2 teaspoon of sweet almond oil, and approx 15 drops of food colouring. (For orange use orange essential oil, 7 drops of red colouring and 6 of yellow, for lime use 15 drops of green colouring and 7 drops of lime essential oil, and for lemon use 15 drops of yellow colouring and 7 drops of lemon essential oil. Mix well using the teaspoon.
5. Pour the oil mixture into the medium bowl containing the 1/2 cup of base mixture, stirring rapidly to prevent mixture fizzing. Continue mixing oil mixture into the base mixture with until blended and mixture stays compressed when pressed.
6. Grease inside of mould with sweet almond oil to enable the bath bomb to slip out freely from the mould. Press the mixture into the mould.
7. Pressing the mixture firmly into the mould until full. Tidy edges, turn the mould over, tap on a flat surface to release bath bomb.
8. After setting for 24 hours its ready for use.
Now you can feel like a pampered princess 24 / 7. Fill that tub, immerse yourself in warm, fragrant water and recline in fabulous glamour! Heaven.