Triple J Hottest 100 Volume 18
This year an incredible 155,222 voters (up 18% on last year) from 152 countries registered 1.26million votes (up 6%) in triple j's annual survey to find the hottest songs of 2010. Add to that 3,526 Hottest 100 parties held by listeners across Australia and internationally - making 2010's poll our biggest yet. triple j's Hottest 100 truly is the world's biggest musical democracy.
Taking out the Hottest 100 number one spot is Angus & Julia Stone's 'Big Jet Plane'. It was one of 2010's earliest releases, proving its staying power with listeners voting it their favourite song nearly a year later. This win caps off a remarkable year for Angus & Julia Stone; they had the highest selling local single and album, headlined festivals around the country, sold out shows at home and around the world, won multiple ARIA's and were nominated for a J Award.
triple j's Music Director Richard Kingsmill said of the song "A lot of people thought Cee Lo had the top spot in the bag. But if you look back across 2010, Angus & Julia Stone's album just kept on selling and never faded. It was one of those records that never had huge hype behind it but people just kept on coming back to it. And the universal charm of 'Big Jet Plane' meant it was destined to be the album's biggest hit."
What immediately stands out in this year's Hottest 100 results is that 50% of the chart is comprised of Australian songs. Seeing local talent like Little Red, Birds of Tokyo, Washington, Boy & Bear, Art Vs. Science, Tame Impala, Cloud Control, Sia, The Jezabels, Drapht, Bag Raiders, Children Collide, Bliss N Eso, Gypsy & The Cat feature so prominently in this year's Hottest 100 is a fantastic feeling.
What is also notable is the amount of multiple entries with 26 artists (14 Australian + 12 International) gaining more than one placing. Acts with the most ranked songs include three entries each for Birds Of Tokyo, Bliss N Eso, Gypsy & The Cat, Pendulum, Washington, Mark Ronson & The Business Intl., Gorillaz and Arcade Fire.
2010 was also a huge year for Unearthed artists. Earning their place in Hottest 100 history are present and past triple j Unearthed acts Gypsy & The Cat, Hungry Kids Of Hungary, The Jezabels, The John Steel Singers and Washington. Plus the huge success story of Art vs. Science who took out the No.2 spot in 2009, placed at No.9 and No.90 in 2010. Then there is 2010 Unearthed J Award winners Boy & Bear taking out No.5 + No.45. Not only are triple j unearthing more artists than ever, more triple j listeners are discovering artists through this channel.
We also saw collaborations proving popular with Duck Sauce's 'Barbara Streisand', Broken Bells 'The High Road', Yolanda Be Cool & DCUP's 'We No Speak Americano', Florence and Dizzee's 'We Got The Love' and Mark Ronson and Kanye West both teaming up with a collection of guests. Unsurprisingly Ou Est Le Swimming Pool's 'Dance The Way I Feel' made it into the top ten after it became an instant hit for us back in April. However the group's worldwide success this year also came at a huge price with the tragic news in August of the death of singer Charles Haddon. Also high ranking is Pendulum's remix of the 'ABC News Theme' (No.11) - a song which listeners adopted as a 2010 anthem.
This year's record breaking Hottest 100 campaign has come off the back of some solid wins; 2010 survey results show triple j enjoying its greatest five city share since 2001 (5.3%), reaching 1.4 million listeners every week (highest-ever 5 city reach). triple j Manager Chris Scaddan says "Australians all over the world are making triple j's Hottest 100 the official soundtrack to their Australia Day, but more than this they're choosing triple j as the most respected and credible voice on new music. Across radio and online, Facebook and Twitter our audience are active everywhere. The Hottest 100 is only the beginning of the year for us; we've got plenty of big events and great music for 2011, including our One Night Stand regional concert, a new triple j iPhone app, live festival broadcasts and an expansion of triple j Unearthed." CD1
1. Angus & Julia Stone - Big Jet Plane
2. Little Red - Rock It
3. Ou Est Le Swimming Pool - Dance The Way I Feel
4. Cee Lo Green - F You
5. Sia - Clap Your Hands
6. The Wombats - Tokyo (Vampires & Wolves)
7. Birds Of Tokyo - Plans
8. Boy & Bear - Fall At Your Feet
9. Mark Ronson & The Business Intl - Somebody To Love Me
10. Foster The People - Pumped Up Kicks
11. Washington - Sunday Best
12. Two Door Cinema Club - Undercover Martyn
13. Cloud Control - There's Nothing In The Water We Can't Fight
14. Kanye West Featuring Pusha T - Runaway
15. Gypsy & The Cat - Jona Vark
16. The National - Bloodbuzz Ohio
17. Children Collide - Jellylegs
18. Bliss n Eso - Addicted
19. Duck Sauce - Barbra Streisand
20. Pendulum - Witchcraft
21. Florence + The Machine & Dizzee Rascal - You've Got The Dirtee LoveCD2
1. Yeasayer - O.N.E
2. Adrian Lux - Teenage Crime
3. Tame Impala - Solitude Is Bliss
4. Sparkadia - Talking Like I'm Falling Down Stairs
5. Crystal Castles Featuring Robert Smith - I'm Not In Love
6. Art vs Science - Magic Fountain
7. Darwin Deez - Radar Detector
8. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
9. Flight Facilities Ft. Giselle - Crave You
10. Drapht - Rapunzel
11. The Naked And Famous - Punching In A Dream
12. Gorillaz (Featuring Daley) - Doncamatic
13. Illy ft. Owl Eyes - It Can Wait
14. The Jezabels - Mace Spray
15. Bag Raiders - Way Back Home
16. Gotye - Eyes Wide Open
17. Gyroscope - Baby, I'm Gettin' Better
18. Hot Chip - One Life Stand
19. Miami Horror Feat. Alan Palomo - Holidays
20. The John Steel Singers - Overpass
21. Angus & Julia Stone - Big Jet Plane (Live) Review
: What a compilation! If you plan on only buy one CD this year, make it the Triple J Hottest 100 Volume 18!
Not sure where to start? Check out Gyroscope, Gypsy & The Cat, Pendulum¸ Tame Impala, The Jezabels and my favoruite Bliss n Eso - actually you know what? Just listen from start to end, I guarantee you won't be able to stop listening; you'll be playing Triple J Hottest 100 Volume 18 over and over and over again! http://www.triplej.net.au/hottest100Buy now at BigPond Music