Deep Dish Pizza with jammy caramelised pumpkin
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Recipe by @rainbownourishments
- 150g plain or wholemeal our, plus extra for dusting
- 2 teaspoons (18g) instant dried yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon of good quality salt
- 3/4 cup (180mL) warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar or sweetener
of your choice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup pumpkin, diced into 2cm cubes
- 1 small red capsicum, diced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup Bonne Maman Mango & Peach Conserve
- 1/2 cup chopped canned tomatoes
- 1 cup vegan cheese, cubed or shredded
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
To make the pizza dough:
(1 hour beforehand or the day before you want to enjoy your pizza)
1. Add all ingredients to a stand mixer or mixing bowl. Knead the dough for 5 minutes or until it forms a smooth and cohesive ball. Add more our if the dough is sticky or add more water if the dough feels dry.
2. Leave the dough in the bowl and cover it with a damp tea towel. Place the dough in a warm spot in your home. Let it rest for at least 1 hour or until it's doubled in size.
To prepare the fillings:
(while the dough is rising)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F)
2. Place an oven-safe casserole dish (or fry pan) over medium-high heat. Sauté the capsicum with 1 teaspoon of olive oil for 3 minutes or until the capsicum is slightly softened but still crunchy. Set aside the capsicum.
3. In the same casserole dish (or fry pan}, sauté the pumpkin with 1 teaspoon of olive oil for 5 minutes. Add around 1/2 cup of water to the casserole dish allowing the pumpkin to steam. When the water has evaporated and the pumpkin is tender, stir through the peach mango conserve. Allow the pumpkin to caramelise for 1 minute then set aside the pumpkin
4. If your casserole dish is dirty, wipe it clean.
5. To prepare the pizza sauce, combine the tomato paste with the chopped canned tomatoes. Set aside.
To assemble the pizza:
1. Dust a clean surface with our. Roll the dough on the floured surface so it's 5 cm larger than your casserole dish (or baking tin)
2. Carefully transfer the dough into the casserole dish. Gently press the dough against the bottom and sides.
3. Sprinkle 1/2 the vegan cheese on the base of the pizza. Then sprinkle the tomatoes and capsicum. Pour all of the prepared pizza sauce. Arrange all the pumpkin and cheese on top
4. Bake the pizza for 30 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
5. Serve the pizza hot with a side salad. Store leftovers, if any, in the casserole dish with the lid on top
Bonne Maman Mango & Peach Conserve comes in a 370g jar with RRP $5.49 and are available in independent supermarkets.