There's nothing quite like the feeling of leaving a salon with your beautiful new hair extensions intact. The last thing you want is to have dry, frizzy hair a few weeks later, not when you've spent time and money achieving this look.
Your hair extensions might be made of real human hair but this doesn't mean that you can handle them in the same way you would your natural hair. For one, your extensions aren't benefitting from the natural oils that are produced by your scalp, which means additional care and attention is required.
Must-Know Remy Hair Extension Maintenance Tips
Here are a few helpful maintenance tips from https://ehhairextensions.com.au:
1. Avoid over-washing your hair. Washing your hair more than twice a week can cause your hair extensions to age quite rapidly. If you do need to wash your hair more than twice a week, make sure that you are using the right shampoo and conditioner. You could also look into a dry shampoo if need be.
2. Don't rub your hair when drying it. Towel drying your hair is a no-no because it can loosen your bonds. If you are in a rush, patting your hair and drying it on a low heat is a much better option.
3. Watch that heat. If you will be using a straightener or curling iron every week, make sure that you always have a quality heat protection spray close by. Heat styling will dry your extensions out if you don't protect your locks.
4. Plait your hair before bed. Tossing and turning during the night can leave you with tangled hair extensions in the morning, which is why it's best to create a soft plait before bedtime. Just remember to use a soft hair tie to prevent breakage.
5. Add a deep conditioner to your routine. Applying a deep conditioning treatment to your hair at least once a month will keep your extensions looking shiny, smooth and fresh.
6. Watch your roots. It's important to avoid applying products that could interfere with your bonds anywhere near your roots. This includes conditioners and any other moisturizing oils and serums.
7. Wear a swimming cap. Unfortunately, your hair extensions don't mix well with chlorine, which is why you will want to wear a swimming cap before you take a dip, or at least not get your hair wet.
8. DIY dye jobs are risky. It's absolutely fine to change the colour of your hair but if you have hair extensions, it's always better to get a professional to assist you, especially if you want to add streaks or highlights. If changing your colour is important to you, you may want to stick to clip-in hair extensions.
9. Brush your locks at least twice a day. By making sure that your hair extensions are tangle-free, you will be able to enjoy them for much longer. Just be sure to use the right brush or a wide-toothed comb.
10. Stick to your maintenance appointments. Finally, if you want to keep your hair extensions fresh and looking natural, stick to your maintenance appointments. They are there for a reason.
Maintaining your hair extensions doesn't require you to make any major changes, a few slight adjustments to your hair care routine is all that's necessary.