For a festival that nearly didn't happen in its first year due to the 2011 floods, in the words of Qld's Minister for the Arts Leeanne Enoch, "the homegrown true success story" that is Anywhere Festival is now celebrating its tenth year!
And in style. With a record 800 performances in nooks and crannies across Brisbane, Ipswich, Moreton Bay, Sunshine Coast & Noosa now officially announced - South East Queensland, it's time to come alive.
Looking for a show in a garage, on a tram or in a gym? There's probably one near you. The full program is out now and available for viewing and download.
So, What Does Anywhere Mean?
Anywhere, means exactly that Anywhere. A festival like NO other, Anywhere Festival is everything from theatre, comedy, music, circus, cabaret, dance, poetry, and walking tours, through to spoken word and even a little bit of magic – but set in gyms, underground reservoirs, backyards, ferry stops, power stations, plant nurseries, golf clubs, rooftops, warehouses, cafes, trams, parks and heritage homes.
In 2021, Anywhere Festival is also online, in immersive virtual reality and real time.
Anywhere is performances. Anywhere. In the words of founder Paul Osuch:
"I believe that performance and the arts should be a part of our lives and not just something we go to a theatre for. Anywhere Festival takes temporary possession of everyday and extraordinary places in order to make things happen in situations that wouldn't normally, namely - the nooks and crannies of YOUR local area"
Hubs & Highlights
How to snapshot a program the depth and breadth of 800 performances:
• From Sundance Film Festival to Anywhere - The Queensland Premiere of the virtual reality experience PRISON X – an immersive Andean mythological play in Virtual Reality where YOU ARE the drug mule - Judith Wright Performing Arts Centre
• Muscle Up Circus - taking circus performance to gyms across SE Qld
• + all the types of strange nooks and crannies we've come to expect:
o An Annerley Garage - The Shelter
o An Old Paint Factory In Yeronga - Alt AR
o Ferry Stops - Transit Tales
o A Tram - Transported
o A Victorian Era Water Reservoir – Willie Nelson's Love Child, Illegal Underground Impro Battle, The Monsters Mother + many more
o Heritage & Residential Homes - Eve's Game, Pieces of Tin, Disturbo
o Power Substations - Golden Dreams
o Golf Course - Avalon
o Botanic Gardens - Shakespeare by the Lake
o Parking Lots & Waste Management - Absolute Trash
o Rooftops - Paladar Rooftop Concerts
o Barber Shop And Bar - The Time Travel Cafe
o A University Board Room - A Very Important Meeting
o Museum After Dark - Archaeopteryx
o A Plant Nursery - Meat Market
o Jetties - Dancing on The Jetty
Jump into a real-life imagining of the classic board game of Cluedo or the Virtual Reality Big Brunch where in a world first, three of the world's leading Virtual Reality proponents come together in the same room. Or chill, head up into the rolling green hills of Mt Mee and laugh along with a collection of comical companions at the Tongue in Cheek Winery Tour supping and sipping on a selection of fine cheeses and sample drops from the multi-award winning, Ocean View Estates as you go.
Keeping It Simple: also new in 2021, go to just one nook or cranny and see a few shows one after the other. Anywhere Festival is proud to this year be partnering with local Brisbane spaces in order to create five x Anywhere Festival Hubs, each hosting multiple performances throughout the evening. Namely: Arcana (Moorooka), Elements Collective (Fortitude Valley) Farrier Bar (Fortitude Valley), The Sideshow (West End) and The University of Queensland (St Lucia). All details on the Hubs can be found in the program.
• Since 2011, Anywhere Festival has put on 3,902 performances of 732 production works including 660 World Premiere works developed by local performance makers.
• One of the most geographically spread-out festivals in the world: each year Anywhere festival attracts around 80,000 attendees over a hundred (100) nooks and crannies across 4,000 square kilometres.
• Anywhere Festival enables 600 performances that could not have happened otherwise. This year, with a lean crew and $80,000 in base government funding, Anywhere Festival is providing nearly a million dollars ($963,384 to be precise) in support to 800 performance makers creating 137 mostly new productions. 78% of performance makers involved state the production could not have happened without Anywhere Festival's support.
"We're incredibly proud of the small role we can play in perpetuating not only Queensland's artistic endeavours, but the artists that make that industry what it is.
We'd love it if you were keen to be a part the journey too."