PREP 15 mins
COOK 40 mins
PER SERVING 379 cals | PROTEIN 16g | CARBS 10g | FAT 30g | FIBRE 3g
This easy low-carb 'lasagne' was created during a brilliant Zoom session when we had to come up with a dish using specific ingredients. These included sausages, tinned tomatoes and spinach. We skipped the starchy lasagne sheets and used layers of zucchini instead.
6 good-quality sausages (around 400g total weight)
2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1 tsp dried oregano
1 × 400g can chopped tomatoes
250g young spinach leaves
2 medium zucchinis, trimmed and sliced lengthways into strips 3–4mm thick
good pinch ground nutmeg
200g full-fat crème fraîche
40g Parmesan, finely grated
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/Gas 6.
2. Place a shallow, flameproof casserole over a medium heat. Squeeze the sausages out of their skins and into the pan in small chunks. Add the onions and fry together, stirring, for 10 minutes, or until the onion is softened and the sausages are lightly browned. Add the garlic and oregano and cook for a few seconds. Tip the tomatoes into the pan and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring regularly, until thick.
3. Place the spinach in a colander in the sink and pour just-boiled water over the top until it softens. Otherwise, you can soften it in the microwave. Leave to stand until cool enough to handle, then squeeze the leaves to remove as much water as possible.
4. Remove the casserole from the heat and season well. Place the zucchini slices over the sausage mixture, then top with the spinach leaves.
5. Stir the nutmeg into the crème fraîche and spread over the spinach – you don't need to be too neat. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and season with more ground black pepper. Bake for 20–25 minutes, or until starting to brown.
6. Remove from the oven and serve with a large green salad.
Avoid cooking this dish for any longer than stated, as the zucchinis will release more liquid as they bake.
Extracted from The Fast 800 Easy by Dr Clare Bailey and Justine Pattison. Published by Simon & Schuster Australia, RRP $35. Photography © Smith & Gilmour