Vegetarian Lasagne that keeps you fuller for longer
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hr 10 minutes
1 cup McKenzie's Whole Green Lentils, rinsed
4 cups vegetable stock
500g pumpkin, cut into 1cm cubes
1 bay leaf
2 tbs olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
4 garlic cloves, crushed
400g can crushed tomatoes
1 1⁄2 cups passata
1 1⁄2 tbs balsamic vinegar
1⁄2 cup flat leaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped
2 tbs plain flour
McKenzie's Salt & Pepper Grinder, to taste
5-6 sheets fresh lasagne
80g baby spinach leaves
200g mozzarella, thinly sliced
1⁄2 cup finely grated parmesan
1. Pre-heat oven to 190°C ( 170°C fan-forced). Combine lentils, stock, pumpkin and bay leaf in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a large frying pan, add onion and garlic. Cook for several minutes until tender. Add lentil mixture to pan with the tomatoes, passata, balsamic and parsley. Simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat butter in a small saucepan, add flour and mix in well. Add milk and whisk until all combined. Bring to the boil and continue stirring until sauce has thickened. Season well.
4. To assemble, spoon 1/3 of lentil mixture over the base of a 6cm deep, 30 x 22cm baking dish. Top with a layer of lasagne sheets to fit. Top with another 1/3 of the lentil mix, followed by half of the spinach and mozzarella. Cover with a layer of lasagne sheets.
5. Spread remaining lentil mix into dish, followed by remaining spinach and mozzarella. Lay a double layer of lasagne sheets on the top and then cover with the bechamel. Sprinkle with parmesan and bake for 40 minutes, or until lasagne is tender and top is golden.
Nothing makes the cold weather easier to deal with than a hearty, home-made meal.
Winter comfort food is usually associated with heavy meals packed full of meat but this doesn't have to be the case. McKenzie's has developed a new range of recipes which features family classics like bolognese and lasagne, minus the meat and packed full of goodness and flavour.
Give your favourite Italian pasta dishes a veggie twist when you substitute meat for lentils and a variety of fresh herbs and vegetables - McKenzie's Meat-Free Bolognese, McKenzie's Pumpkin & Lentil Lasagne and McKenzie's Better For You Minestrone are as appetising to they eye as they are to the tastebuds.
Heat things up in the home with McKenzie's Power Packed Burritos and McKenzie's Super Powerful Vegetable Soup. These home-made dishes come to life when combining fresh and delicious assorted vegetables and spices - a sure fire way to chase the cold away.