Red Lentil Minestrone
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Makes: 3 serves
● 1 cup(s) McKenzie's Red Split Lentils rinsed
● 3 cup(s) water
● 3 teaspoon(s) olive oil (extra virgin)
● 3/4 onion (brown) diced
● 1 1/2 carrot(s) sliced
● 3 cup(s) cauliflower chopped into small florets
● 2 1/4 cup(s) potato(es) cut into small cubes
● 1 1/2 cup(s) diced tomatoes (canned)
● 3 cup(s) vegetable stock
● salt & pepper to taste
● 1 1/2 cup(s) kale
● 3 slice(s) sourdough (or gluten free) bread
1. Start by adding the split red lentils and water to a small saucepan over medium heat.
2. Bring to a boil then lower the heat and simmer for 6 minutes, until lentils are cooked.
3. In the meantime, add the olive oil and onion into a medium saucepan over medium heat and saute for 2-3 minutes until golden.
4. Add the carrot, cauliflower, potato, diced tomatoes and vegetable stock. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Bring to a boil and leave to simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Add the cooked lentils and kale, and cook for another 5 minutes.
7. Remove from the heat and pour into a bowl.
8. Serve with fresh or toasted sourdough.
Energy = 2105.9
Calories = 502.9 cal
Protein = 27.9g
Fibre = 20.6g
Fat = 6.9g
Saturated Fat = 1.6g
Carbohydrates = 73.1g
Sugar = 22.1g
These recipes are brought to you by health and fitness expert, Sam Wood, and his '28 by Sam Wood' program. Recipes are all under 510 calories and are filled with the goodness of McKenzie's pulses.
Pulses like chickpeas, lentils and split peas are a great source of protein, fibre, vitamins and minerals and are low in GI, helping to keep us full for longer. For more information visit www.28bysamwood.com