CAULIFLOWER MAC AND CHEESE
A recipe from Chef Tom Walton and Califia Farms
"This dish is pure comfort food for the cooler months. A great make ahead meal you can easily reheat and enjoy the leftovers. The Califia Original Oat milk is great in cooking and makes the sauce so silky smooth and creamy with such a delicious flavour," says Tom Walton.
1 head cauliflower, cut into 8 wedges
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt, fresh ground black pepper
300g dried macaroni
1/3 cup dairy-free butter
1 small brown onion, finely diced
¼ cup plain flour
2 ½ cups Califia Farms Original Oat Milk
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
200 g dairy free cheddar style cheese
Handful flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Preheat an oven to 220C and bring a medium pot of water to the boil.
- Place the cauliflower into a large shallow bowl, drizzle over the olive oil, season with salt and pepper, mix well to combine then place onto a line baking tray and roast for 25 minutes, until golden.
- Cook the macaroni in the boiling water for 8 minutes then refresh under cold water and drain.
- Place a shallow frying pan over a medium/high heat and add the butter. Once melted add the onion and good pinch of salt. Cook stirring often for 3 minutes then add the flour and cook that out, stirring, for 30 seconds before adding Califia's Original Oat milk, a little at a time and stirring as you go to create a thick, smooth sauce.
- Turn the heat down and allow the sauce to simmer, stirring often for 3 minutes then stir through the nutritional yeast and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Remove the pan from the heat, grate half the cheese into the sauce and stir through to melt.
- Add the pasta to the pan and stir through the sauce. Tip the macaroni and sauce into a baking dish and nestle in the cauliflower, spooning some sauce over them so it all fits nicely and the cauliflower is covered. Scatter the remaining cheese over the dish and return to the oven for 8 minutes, until bubbling and golden.
- Serve scattered with the parsley
Tom Walton is a chef and dad from Bondi, Sydney with a focus on family friendly and plant-based delicious recipes. Follow his Instagram here: @cheftomwalton. For more details on Califia Farms visit: califiafarms.com.au or head to @califiafarmau