Kanzi® apple, caramelised onion and goat's cheese galette
This savoury Kanzi® apple galette is colourful, rustic and simple to prepare. The flavour combination of Kanzi® apples with sweet caramelised onions, goat's cheese and fresh thyme is just divine. The perfect dish for a picnic or a no fuss dinner.
Prep/ cook : 45 minutes
Serve: 4 serves
4 medium size Kanzi® apples (sliced into thin half-moons 5mm thick)
2 red onions (thinly sliced into half-moons)
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
100g ash coated goat's cheese
1 sheet puff pastry thawed out (store bought)
4-5 sprigs fresh thyme
1 tbsp butter for cooking
olive oil for cooking
pinch of sea salt
• Pre heat the oven to 180C.
• Line a rectangular baking tray with parchment paper, set aside.
• Add the butter to a frying pan on medium heat followed by the onions, stir to coat. Allow the onions to sweat until they become transparent (8 - 10 minutes), keep stirring to prevent b urning.
• Add the brown sugar and balsamic vinegar and stir through. Cook for a further 5 - 8 minutes or until the balsamic becomes sticky and thickened. Remove from the heat.
• Toss the sliced Kanzi® apples together in a mixing bowl with ¾ of the thyme leaves, a good pinch of sea salt and a little drizzle of olive oil to coat.
•Lay the thawed - out puff pastry onto the baking tray. Spread the caramelised onion mixture evenly over the pastry, leaving a 6 - 7cm border from the edge of the pastry.
• Lay 5 slices of Kanzi® apples in the same direction, slightly overlapping each over. Then lay another 5 slices of the Kanzi® in a separate direction. Repeat this process until you have 3 by 4 rows.
• Crumble up the g oat cheese into chunks and spread over the top and in - between the Kanzi® apples. Spread the remainder of the thyme leaves over the top.
• Using a flat spatula, gently lift up the pastry border and fold the pastry edges inwards over the top of the pie ingredients.
• Bake for 28 - 30 minutes or until the pastry is lightly browning and puffing up.
• Serve warm from the oven or enjoy later cold for a picnic.