School Fun Run's Home Fun Run 2020

School Fun Run's Home Fun Run 2020


Families across the nation will raise heart rates and funds for Australian children living in poverty who are further disadvantaged by COVID-19, with the inaugural Home Fun Run held on Friday, June 12.

Home Fun Run has a dual mission; funds raised will help connect Australian children living in poverty with educational support opportunities through The Smith Family's Learning for Life program, as well as brightening lives by donating toys to their Toy & Book Appeal.

The initiative has been created by School Fun Run, a long standing fundraising idea that helped Australian schools raise over $9,000,000 in 2019, will launch on Tuesday, May 12 giving families just over a month to hit their fundraising goals before their Home Fun Run.

School Fun Run Director Brendan Hopp saw an opportunity to repurpose their fundraising vehicle to battle the economic impacts of COVID-19, while also giving families a fun physical activity to achieve together at home.
"We've seen the hardship Australians have endured during this trying time and it got me wondering, with a network of over 130,000 school families, what could we do that would help those most in need?" Hopp said.

"After talking to The Smith Family, I was saddened to learn how significantly children experiencing poverty are affected by COVID-19 and the need to support their education to help break the cycle of poverty. The funds raised from Home Fun Run will help children experiencing hardship overcome the obstacles of poverty during this global pandemic, and long after."

"The Home Fun Run encourages families to get creative with a fun obstacle course to raise some much-needed funds for The Smith Family, and promote some healthy activity at home."

"We understand times are tough and not everyone is in a position to donate but we know that if those that can band together, we can achieve incredible outcomes and change the trajectory of lives," he said.

70% of the funds raised will go towards providing educational support for children in need with the remaining 30% to be donated in the form of toys to The Smith Family's Toy and Book Appeal.

The Smith Family CEO Dr Lisa O'Brien says, "This initiative with Home Fun Run comes at a crucial time for the thousands of disadvantaged students The Smith Family supports.

"The funds raised by Home Fun Run will go directly towards our Learning for Life program, which provides vital educational support for disadvantaged children. With education the key to breaking the cycle of poverty, we are delighted that four in five students participating in our program at the completion of high school, are working and/or studying 12 months after leaving. So, we thank all those families who will get involved with Home Fun Run for their help enabling our life-changing work for the children we support."

School Fun Run is Australia's largest fun run for schools and provides ongoing support for students
and families by encouraging healthier lives and happier learning environments for all.
For more information and to register visit


School Fun Run's Home Fun Run 2020
Official Date: Friday June 12
I. Families are encouraged to hold their Home Fun Run from Monday June 8 – Friday June 12
➢ $20 can provide a family with a reading resource pack to help develop a child's literacy skills
➢ $40 can provide a 'Let's Count' pack to help develop a child's numeracy skills
➢ $50 can help a child who is struggling with reading, by pairing them with a reading buddy who
gives advice and encouragement through the student2student program
➢ $104 is enough to support the education of a child in need for two months
➢ $624 is enough to support the education of a child in need for 12 months

Show off your ultimate home obstacle course challenge on social, upload your video to:
Instagram: @homefunrun #athomefunrun