Father's Day with a Difference!
It's Seahorse September at Oceanworld Manly so there's never been a better time to treat your dad to a fun day out with the whole family!Did you know that the male seahorse is considered one of the best fathers in the world? The seahorse is unique because, unlike most other animals, although the female lays the eggs, it's the male seahorse that carries the eggs, nourishes them and even gives birth to the young!
The seahorse enjoys fatherhood so much, that he will become 'pregnant' almost straight after giving birth and can have up to 12 broods of babies in just one breeding season! Throughout the month of September, you can see and learn all about this amazing creature at Oceanworld with our daily Great Animal Fathers Talk, weekdays at 2.30pm and 3pm on weekends.
When you visit Oceanworld Manly with dad this Father's Day, one child will receive free entry!*
Seahorse Fact File:
· The male seahorse has a pouch (a marsupium) into which the female seahorse lays her eggs.
· The male seahorse carries the eggs for approximately three weeks though in cases, it can take up to six weeks for the eggs to develop.
· Seahorses are monogamous and form a permanent pair for life.
· Seahorses lack a tail fin so they don't swim very fast. They can, however, swim forward or backward by swelling their dorsal and pectoral fins.
· Alike all fish, the eyes of a seahorse can move independently. This helps them catch and feed on the small crustaceans that make up their diet.
Oceanworld has something for everyone! Watch huge sharks, giant stingrays, and shoals of beautiful fish being hand-fed by our professional divers or dive into Oceanworld with a Shark Dive Xtreme experience, suitable for first time divers! Much more than an aquarium, a visit to Oceanworld is a great day out for all ages. Daily reptile shows allow you to get up close and personal with snakes, baby crocs and a variety of lizards. There are also kid's parties, family sleepovers and a Kids Club.www.oceanworld.com.au