Italian Sponge with layers of chocolate, Strawberries and Marsala Ingredients
250 ml (1 cup) thickened cream
500 ml (2 cups) mascarpone
1/2 cup icing sugar (for mascarpone mix)
1/2 cup icing sugar (for coffee & water mix)
2 tbsp instant coffee
11/2 cups cold water
4 tbsp (1/4 cup) marsala
200gm savoiardi biscuits (Italian sponge finger biscuits)
100gm dark chocolate (buttons work well)
3 punnets strawberries
1. Whip cream till stiff, then stir through mascarpone and the ½ cup icing sugar.
2. In a separate bowl mix together coffee, water, the second ½ cup icing sugar and the marsala.
3. Cut savoiardi biscuits into 4 pieces each and place in separate bowl.
4. Grate chocolate (if not using buttons) and put in separate bowl.
5. Wash then cut strawberries in 3mm slices
1. Place 6 small glasses on a tray.
2. Dip 3 biscuit pieces quickly into coffee mixture then place in bottom of each glass.
3. Dollop a heaped tablespoon of the mascarpone mixture on top of the biscuits.
4. Place a layer of strawberry slices on top of the mascarpone mixture.
5. Sprinkle a tablespoon of the grated chocolate or buttons on top of the strawberries.
6. Repeat this layering technique again. i.e. coffee soaked biscuits, mascarpone, strawberries, then grated chocolate.
7. Make sure your top layer is presented beautifully.
8. Refrigerate until ready to eat.
Once youve made Italian Sponge with layers of chocolate, Strawberries and Marsala youll want to make them over and over! Make sure you tell your friends about this great recipe!