Quinoa (Keen-wa) Salad Ingredients
2 cups water
1 cup quinoa
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup pepita seeds, toasted
3 green onion/shallots, finely sliced
½-1 red capsicum, diced
1/2 cup fresh basil, julienned
10 sun-dried tomatoes, finely sliced
4 tbsp red wine vinegar
4 tbsp olive oil and some oil from sun-dried tomatoes.
Pinch MasterFoods cayenne
Salt and cracked pepper to taste
1. Before starting, get your two cups of water handy.
2. Dry roast the quinoa grain in a saucepan, without oil, stirring every 10-20 secs over medium heat for about 5 minutes, till it just becomes aromatic. Do not let it burn.
3. Add the water, 1 tbsp salt and taste. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes. The water will be absorbed, but if cooked before water is absorbed, then drain in a colander. Cool (place in fridge if necessary).
4. Dry roast the pepita seeds in a sauté pan over medium heat till fragrant, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from pan as they start to 'pop'!
5. Keeping some shallots and sun-dried tomatoes as garnish, add all the ingredients and thoroughly combine.
6. Taste and adjust seasonings you might need extra oomph! Maybe more salt, pepper and vinegar. Set aside.
Once youve made Quinoa (Keen-wa) Salad youll want to make them over and over! Make sure you tell your friends about this great recipe!