Introducing Salakida, Singer/Songwriter. the next new thing in Urban/R&B, a soulful combination of pop, R&B and alternative.
Salakida, also known as Aminah Barry, has been performing for as long as anyone in her family can remember. She has lent her voice and words to non-profits such as United Way, AIDS Project of the East Bay. She has collaborated with artists as diverse as Digital Underground, Blackalicious, Allen Anthony/Christion, D'wayne Wiggins, Kenny Lattimore and many others...
1. How did it feel to hear your song played all over the airwaves?
2. Did you have any pre-conceived ideas about the music industry?
I used to think that things happened over night in the music industry and that if you were talented, the world would find you; now I know that if you really love music and want to do it as a profession, you have to be brave enough to give yourself to the world.
3. Do you write your own songs? What's your inspiration?
Yes, I do write my own songs. Inspiration comes to me from so many places, it could be a conversation I had, a dream, something I'm personally going through, or something a friend is going through.
4. What music/artists do you listen to when you are not playing your own?
I listen to Lizz Wright, Prince, 702, N.E.R.D., Chaka Khan & Rufus, Fiona Apple, Phoebe Snow, Raphael Saadiq, Heart, a lot of old music I guess.
5. What's next? Tour/Album/Single?
My next thing is to continue to push the album, which is called "Salakida" and tour to support it, expose audiences in other cities to what I'm doing.
6. Was there a moment you contemplated throwing in the towel?
Yes! Before I moved to Atlanta, after I had completed the album and everything, I was thinking about just giving up. I was discouraged about the lack of variety in the music that's exposed, and couldn't see how I was going to break through
7. Do you prefer performing live or recording?
I love both equally; recording allows you to see a song develop from a melody in your head to something outside of yourself that has a life of it's own, while performing live gives you and opportunity to feed off of other peoples reactions and energy when they hear the music, which can also change the shape of the song.
8. What/who was your inspiration to go into the music industry?
The play Dreamgirls and an early Luther Vandross concert when I was about 4 years old.
9. What is the biggest challenge you have faced along the way to your musical success?
Making a living and keeping faith.
10. What's a typical day like?
I don't have typical days, I wake up at about 5 am, I drink some coffee around 8, I go to sleep around 1 or 2.
11. What has been your favorite part of becoming a music artist?
Seeing my thoughts come alive through song and have a positive effect on other people.
12. If you could collaborate with another artist, who would it be?
Hmmm, gotta think that over, there are so many
13. Are you single? What do you look for in a partner?
I'm single! I look for honesty, and a sense of humor about life in a partner.
14. Do you have a website fans can visit?
15. Can you tell us 5 things required for a happy healthy & enjoyable life?
16. What message would you like to say to your fans?
Magic Happens! All the time...60 Second Quiz
Full Name: Aminah Salakida Kali Barry
Star Sign: Scorpio
Favorite Food: Chocolate chip cookies with pecans
Favorite Film: Five Heartbeats
Favorite Actor: Don't have one
Describe yourself in 3 words: Funny Serious Goddess
Best Feature: Sensitivity
Worst Feature: sensitivity! (lol)
Person You Would Most Like to Meet: My next soulmate
Hobbies/Interests: Dance, mystical studies
First Job: Ross Dress For Less
Are you a Pub, Bar or Club kind: Club - gotta get my shake on!
What Can You Never Leave Home Without: Lipstick
What is the first thing you think of when you wake up in the morning: Music www.salakida.com