Taking their name from a little known Australian beach where they grew up, Tamarama's Jay Lyon and Nicolas "Pottsy" Potts have nurtured a sound reflecting life on the shores of OZ. With a mix of folk, rock, and reggae rhythms, breezy melodies and easy going lyrics this new collection of songs will surely catch your attention.
Tamarama is now based in New York City, far from the tranquil settings of their old stomping grounds, but their vibe has never strayed too far from the beaches at home where the memories feed the music. The new surroundings and it's diversity have helped develop their sound, broaden their influences and deepen their style, not to mention given them a solid local and celebrity following in the US.
Now in the recording studio Tamarama has had the chance to record their first album "Wonderland City" with a full band and are scheduled for a fall release and upcoming tours in October.
Listen, enjoy and let "Blue Skies Prevail"
1. How did it feel to hear your song played all over the airwaves?
Feels like vegemite on toast, as its hard to find in the USA
2. Did you have any pre-conceived ideas about the music industry?
It is what it is, which is the industry of musical people and their associates pushing the products
3. Do you write your own songs? What's your inspiration?
Sunsets, sunday mornings, the beach, the sun, girls and good times.
4. What music/artists do you listen to when you are not playing your own?
Xavier rudd, the police, the rapture, muscles, feist
5. What's next? Tour/Album/Single?
College Tour of the USA
6. Was there a moment you contemplated throwing in the towel?
The towel nearly got thrown a couple of times, but the music prevailed
7. Do you prefer performing live or recording?
Performing takes the cake, recording tends to be a massive downer after 12 hour days for 2 long weeks.
8. What/who was your inspiration to go into the music industry?
The freedom from working for anyone and getting to be creative.
9. What is the biggest challenge you have faced along the way to your musical success?
Making the transition from quitting my full time photo retouching job (www.nicolaspotts.com ) to full time music.
10. What's a typical day like?
Meet for a coffee around 10 downstairs, maybe go to the gym, then meetings, rehearsal
11. What has been your favorite part of becoming a music artist?
The shows are the best
12. If you could collaborate with another artist, who would it be?
Jonny the one eyed geeza from Burlap to Cashmere
13. Are you single? What do you look for in a partner?
A huge personality, and a girl that can hold her own without being too needy!
14. Do you have a website fans can visit? www.myspace.com/tamaramamusic
15. Can you tell us 5 things required for a happy healthy & enjoyable life?
Music, exercise, family, a dog, and a creative outlet
16. What message would you like to say to your fans?
Big up hola at cha boy, just kidding, id say thanks for being fans and keep up the good work.
60 Second Quiz
----------------------- Full Name: Nicolas Gregory Potts
Star Sign: GEMINI
Music Talent: GUITAR, VOCALS
Favorite Food: THAI
Favorite Film: PLEASANTVILLE
Favorite Actor: JIM CAREY
Describe yourself in 3 words: KEEP THE PEACE
Best Feature: GOOD COOK
Worst Feature: IM A STRESS HEAD
Person You Would Most Like to Meet: JOHN LENNON
Hobbies/Interests: SURFINGv First Job: WINDOW WASHING
Are you a Pub, Bar or Club kind: PUB
What Can You Never Leave Home Without: MY DOG
What is the first thing you think of when you wake up in the morning: (when im at home in Sydney its WHATS THE SURF LIKE? when im in NYC WHOS UP FOR A COFFEE?
INTERVIEW WITH TAMARAMA'S JAY LYON - www.girl.com.au/tamarama-jay-lyon.htm